分享/Share...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someonePrint this page

Dear May Jammers!

We hope that you are as excited as we are, to await this years May Jam 2014!

As you may have noticed we have changed our way of operating May Jam and it looks like that this has raised questions and concerns for some, meaning we have to explain a couple of things to you.

You may have notice that there are new rules, requirements, terms, benefits or opportunities, how May Jam works or how to get involved or even make a little benefit of May Jam, for you as a private person or band member!
However let me ensure you, that all the changes are in the best interest and benefit to keep May Jam as an independent creative grassroots event.

1) The government involvement

Their involvement is needed since May Jam is held on government property. Furthermore they are supporting May Jam with about 95000 NT$ which are under clear guidelines by the government and are only to be used for promotion related expenses.
Since May Jam is on government property they try to give us as much as possible for free or very low cost to help May Jam to become successful and we are very grateful for that!

2) Bands for Friends/Friends for Bands

What does that actually mean? It means in philosophical terms: When “I” can think and act as “We” and “We” can think and act as “I”, we have actually realized the true meaning behind the slogan of: “Bands for Friends / Friends for Bands”. Meaning, my individual (the Bands) action is in the interest and benefit of the community (Friends) by being creatively entertained and having a good time / and in reverse / the communities (Friends) action is in the interest of me and the individual (the Bands) by supporting them.

In other words “May Jam” wants to let everyone benefit from, of and through May Jam and is also working now closely with the local community and for their welfare. That in return will benefit May Jam too, meaning since the local community profits from, of and through May Jam, the community is in return interested to keep May Jam alive as what it is, an independent grassroots music festival, which is our main goal.

This concept is not new but in my case inspired by the “PROUT” philosophy of P.R. Sarkar (PROUT = Progressive Utilization Theory)

Here a practical example to make it more understandable, the Bands after being accepted will have to pay a registration fee of 1000NT$ but will be compensated in tickets for that, plus a certain amount of tickets are given for travel expenses.
(South area bands receive 15 tickets, value of a single ticket is 350NT$)

Now it is up to you whether or not you want to sell the tickets or just give them away but we highly recommend the selling of the tickets. Also, if you feel inspired to sell more May Jam tickets, we welcome that and are selling them to bands only, to a very special discount prize.

Now May Jam gets 1000NT$ and gives out tickets in value of 5250NT$. What you do with your tickets is not of our concern but your 1000NT$ registration fee, from all bands, will be used to pay for the stage but that is not all, the stage supplier will only be paid 90% in cash and the rest 10% in tickets. That means everyone is involved in May Jam to make it happen, in parts on the receiving and contributing side too. Meaning “Bands for Friends / Friends for Bands”

To make it even more simple everyone will gain through these changes.

Perhaps in the beginning you may feel a bit confused and odd about the changes, we understand, it was not easy for us either because of our old model of thinking, we are all conditioned by, didn’t wanted to agree right away but what were our options, to continue with May Jam or to stop it. We decided to give the new model a chance and we hope you too.

You will find these changes throughout our web site and we hope that this letter of explanation has helped you, to come to a better understand of the May Jam formula!

Best regards,

Axel & The May Jam Team

(“Tu Lam” means “together” in Siraya language, the indigenous tribe of Sinhua area)